Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Installment #20


Installment #20

Kevin and Greg

Kevin merged into the north bound lane of Interstate 25 and quickly set the cruise control on 75 mph. They would catch I 80 West in Cheyenne. It might be a bit out of the way mileage wise, but it would cut almost two hours off the trip.

 “OK, Greg. What is eating you? You been all tied up since yesterday. You might just as well spit it out!”

“Ok, Kevin. Are you buying that crock about your mom building a fortress of her house just cause she is getting old? She is not that old and I am pretty sure she can take care of herself. Something is going on there that she isn’t telling you, and I don’t like it.” He waited for a response and when none came he forged on, “ Why didn’t we walk up the mountain? There are trails up there. I seen them, but she was like a little frightened rabbit when I suggested that. Did you notice?”  He stopped and this time waited for an answer.

“Well, yeah. We used to hike up there a lot. Maybe there are more houses up there now and it is private property. Or it is rattlesnake season when they shed their skin and they are blind and can’t get out of our way. That’s how people get bit by those Timber Rattlers.” He stopped and looked at Greg. He needed more. He sounded like a little kid. “All right! All right! I don’t know what is going on and I am sure there is more than she is telling us, but what can I do? They outlawed the tying up and grilling of mothers a very long time ago. I am sure she will be all right and she will do what needs to be done and if something or someone is threatening her, she will handle it. She is a big girl.”

Greg sighed. “Well, I really like your mom and I hope you are right. I wish she had some closer neighbors. Do you know any of them? Can they check on her?”

"Greg.  Greg.  People move to the mountains to be alone. I know the handyman she uses a little. We always called him ‘that silly old Fred’. He has lived upon  the mountain for years. I think he still has the same old pickup that he had when I was living at home, but maybe not. We always thought he was married and his wife left him and his son moved away, but seems like that was just a rumor. Never been married. Never had a kid. Guess the only rumor that held any water was that his dad had killed his mother and hid her body in the root cellar. I think he is scared of root cellars. Oh, yeah and women. Seems he was an only child. But I don’t know if he even has a phone. Sure he doesn’t do the Internet!”

They fell into a restless silence as they thought about Meg and the miles whipped past. They stopped in Cheyenne for a rest stop before getting on I 80. They bought a cappuccino and a bag of Fritos. When they returned to the car, Greg took the wheel. They enjoyed the scenery and sipped the hot cappuccinos. Meg was never very far from their minds, but they could not think of a way to protect her when they had no idea what to protect her from.

No comments:

Post a Comment