Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 30, 2019

#17 Rampano

I was very happy to see Rampano the next day when I opened my eyes.  I was beginning to actually like the man, or whatever he was that passed for a man.  I had utmost faith in what he would tell me, but I was very confused at this point.

“Rampano!  You told me that I worked in the ovens in Auchwitz!  I could not have done that.  I came here in 1895 as my Great Grandfather and he died in 1916 and I was born in 1941 and I can not be 2 people at once!  How do you explain that?”

“Oh, just cool your jets missy!  I made a little mistake.  You are not the only one I am tutoring here  and I just got you mixed up with a little gal from Berlin.  You do have a lot of German blood in your veins.”  He shook his head and then continued.  “Do you wonder why I am still here and not off at the judgement seat?”  He leveled a look at me that let me know that he was expecting an answer.

I had to think about that.  He was here to help me so surely he was further advanced in his journey than I was.  I had thought he was different than I was.  I was a novice at this, or so I thought and I thought he knew things I did not, but maybe that was not the case.  Maybe he was searching for answers just as I was.  I suddenly seen Rampano in a new light.  He was a comrade seeking answers just as I was.  I laughed.

“Oh, Rampano!  You are just like me, aren’t you?  You are not perfect and neither am I!  How many times have you been sent back? “  I crossed my arms and waited for an answer. 

For the first time since I had met him, he looked sad.  My heart stirred for the first time since I had died.  I reached out and put my arms around Rampano.  I felt a tear fall on the top of my head and I felt a tenderness for this strange little man that I was pretty sure I could not feel being dead, but there it was.  Empathy welled in my heart and I patted his shoulder.

“Maybe we can figure this out together.”  As we stood in the middle of wherever we were, I felt my mossy little room envelope me, but Rampano was still in my arms as I drifted into nothingness.  


No comments:

Post a Comment