Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Installment #16 The Confession




     Margie looked at Tucker with fire in her eyes.  “OK, Tucker!  What the hell is your problem now?  I have about had it with your surly attitude.  Was Pueblo that bad?  You are the one that wanted to move there.  What went wrong last weekend?”  She waited.  Nothing.  “Screw it!”  She picked up her purse and started for the door.  Tucker jumped to his feet.

     “Wait!  Wait!  Let me think.  I can’t make sense of this.  Help me!”

     Margie set her purse on the desk and sighed.  “Ok, Tucker.  Just tell me what you think.  I know you have a hard time some times, but tell me what you know.”

     “OK.  You know I went down to Pueblo to meet with the realtor.  You know that.  I met a woman on match.com and made a date with her for coffee before I went to the realtor.  Starbucks.   The one right by the realty office.”  He stopped and looked at her sadly.

     “I see.  Oh, honey!  Did she not show up?  Is that what this is about?”

     “No, she showed up.  That isn’t it.  We had coffee and then she went to a meeting and I went with George.  Then we met again and we went to supper at the Chinese place.  We had a very good time, but then she was gone.”

     “Gone!  Where did she go?”  Margie was having a hard time following his thoughts.                             

     “We walked back to the parking lot and I put her in her car and she drove away and I have not seen her since.” 

     “Well, silly, just call her!”

     “I can’t because I forgot to get her number and she never gave it to me.”

     “Well, get on match.com and find her again.  That is not problem.”

     “Oh, Margie, I tried that!  She is not there anymore.  She closed her account!  I thought we connected, but I guess not.”

     Marge laughed.  “Oh, my silly little Tucker!  She probably closed her account because she met the man of her dreams!”

     “Yeah?  Well the man of her dreams has no way to get in touch with her.  No number, no nothing.”  He dropped his head in his hands.

     Marge walked to the computer and sat down as she began to type.  “Look, Tucker.  White pages.  Pueblo, Colorado.  What is her name?”  Tucker told her and she typed it into the space allotted for that.  In just a few seconds the number appeared.  Margie hit the print button and soon Tucker had the page in his hands.

     “Thanks, Margie.  I am sure glad I have you.  No one understands me like you do.”  He smiled wanly.

     “I know Tucker.  This dyslexia of yours is a pain, but I have been around you long enough that I think I have caught it from you.”  She laughed and Tucker echoed the laughter.  “So, this Cynthia, she caught your eye, huh?”

     “Well, sort of, I guess.  At least she will be someone I can touch base with when I move down there.  Don’t go ringing any wedding bells though.  I think I am a confirmed bachelor.”

     And with that, they left the office and parted ways in the parking lot.  Margie headed south to her little house and her darling, David, who sometimes chilled the wine when he shouldn’t and sometimes kept it in the rack when it should have been chilled. 

     And Tucker headed north to his lonely apartment and the motorcycles cluttering up his garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment