Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Installment #13 The day


     “Cynthia?  I am sorry I was late.  Traffic was a bear from Denver this morning.”  He smiled down at her.
     Cynthia felt her reserve melting away as they stood in the open door.  “Tucker, I assume?  I was just thinking how nice it is and thought I might like to set at a table outside.”
     “Sounds like a plan.  Let me grab a coffee and I will join you.”  He held the door as she stepped through.  He smiled again and entered the coffee shop.  He poked his head back through the door and asked, “Can I get you another?”
     “No thanks, but I could use a water.”
     Tucker smiled to himself.  Water was free!  This was going to be a good day.  He had an appointment with George Farley at 11:30 so he had about an hour to make a judgment call on this little bit of fluff.  He took his Cappuccino and headed for the door.
     Tucker began talking before he set down.  He told her about his business in Denver.  He told her about his motorcycle club; his photography, San Francisco, Minneapolis, St Louis, his sword collection, his gun collection, his jewelry making.  She listened.  She smiled.  She sipped her water.  Tucker lost track of time.
     Cynthia suddenly held up her hand.  “Oh, Tucker, I am sorry to interrupt, but I have a meeting for lunch at noon!”
     Tucker was surprised to see it was 11:30.  He would be late for his meeting with George.  Good thing his office was just on the other side of the parking lot.  He was having a hard time making the transition back from his hour of trying to make a good impression to the fact that he knew nothing about her!  He searched for words.  She stood and gathered her things.  He sat stock still.  A plan!  He needed a plan, but time was moving and he was not.  She held her hand out to him.  He grasped it as the only life line he saw at that moment.
     “It was so nice meeting you, Tucker.  I hope to see you again.”  She released his hand and turned toward the door.
     “Wait!  I have to think.  Wait!”  Cynthia turned and looked at him in astonishment.  He was handling this badly, he knew.  “Cynthia, I have a problem.  I am dyslectic and I can not think fast.  I am sorry.  I have to meet a realtor now, but I have a room.  Can we get together later today?”  Oh, God!  That did not sound good.  “For dinner?  I mean for dinner?”  He stared at her forlornly.
     She laughed!  Tucker suddenly relaxed.  This was going to work.  They laughed together.  “Sure.  I work with an AIDS Support group in town and I will be through with that at 4 or so.  Want to meet here around 4:30 ?”
     He smiled as he walked her to her car.  He smiled as he opened the door for her and he stood smiling in the parking lot as he watched her back out and drive away.  He felt like a damn fool as someone honked at him to get out of the way.  He smiled and waved at the old man glaring at him and he was still smiling as he opened the door to the real estate office.

No comments:

Post a Comment