Total Pageviews

Monday, June 24, 2013

Installment #35 Mark

     Mark Bollinger hung up the phone and turned to his wife.  “Well, that was Tucker.  His cancer has metastasized on his spine and pubis.  It does not look good for the old boy.”

     Sue watched Mark.  She knew how important Tucker was to Mark.  Mark had been 12 years old when he had met Tucker.  At that time Tucker had been living up the street from Mark in St. Louis.   Tucker had lots of old motorcycles in his garage and Mark was fascinated with this cool, old guy.  Hero worship, she was sure.  But over the years Tucker and Mark had kept in touch and remained friends.  Tucker had helped Mark restore his first bike and it was a bond that had never been broken or  bent. 

     “Well, honey, what do you think?  Is there anything you can do?”  But she knew before he spoke what was coming.  She knew this big bear of a man and knew that inside the rough exterior was a marshmallow.  Mark would give up his life for his friend and Tucker Fuhrman was his friend.

     “Well he has to go through 10 days of radiation.  He won’t be able to drive.  Somebody needs to be there.  I am sure his brother won’t be able to, so I guess that leaves me.  I know you can keep the shop on an even keel without me.  If I didn’t have all the faith in the world in you I wouldn’t even ask.”

     “Oh?  And is this how you ask?”  She laughed.  “And since when do you need to ask my permission?  Honey, I know you better than you know yourself.  Of course you are going to Pueblo.  He would do the same for you.  I just want to know when you are leaving.”  She reached down and picked up the little Yorkie and cradled it in her arms.  Mark reached over and rubbed the head of the little dog.

     “Just as soon as I can pack and gas up the truck.”  He turned quickly away so she would not see the tear glistening in his eye, but he was not fast enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment