Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Installment #41...The final will and testament of Tucker Fuhrman


Installment #41

The Final Will and Testament of Tucker Fuhrman

     Tucker listened as Russell read the highlights of the will. 

Yes, sell everything he owned and pay his bills.  That was always first on the list.

Yes, Give $1000 to the no kill shelter where he had gotten Cleo.

A painting to Marge.

The desk to Cynthia.

Pay Marge for administering the will.

Everything else would go to the motorcycle club.

     It was simple.  Simple and straight forward.  He reached for the pen and signed his name.  He signed with bold strokes. This was good.  This would make it a good clean break and everyone could then get back to the act of living.                               

     They shook hands all around and left the office.  Marge looked both ways before pulling into traffic.  “Let’s go eat, Tucker.  I am starved.  Are you hungry?”

     “It seems like eating is rather a waste of time and good food. Wonder how long this is going to take?  Wonder if there is a way to hurry it up and get it the hell over with.”

        “If I could change it, I would Tucker.  I do not know the answers.  I know it is something that only you can go through.  Only you.  No one else.  Just know that I am here for you and I will be until the end.  And David.  And Cynthia and so many of your friends.”  With that she pulled into a parking place in front of the Pantry.  “Come on, sweetie.  If you don’t want to eat, just keep me company so I don’t have to eat alone.”

     Tucker mustered a smile and opened the car door.  “Sorry, Marge, I know I am not much fun, but I sure am glad you are here for me.  I don’t know what I would do without you.”

     Marge ordered a small chef salad which she devoured while Tucker rearranged a hot beef sandwich into several piles without ever putting a bite of it in his mouth.  Marge appeared not to notice.

     When they reached the house Cynthia was waiting.  She and Marge talked briefly and then Marge headed North leaving Tucker and Cynthia on the front porch. She pulled onto Pearl and headed for 4th Street which would take her to the Interstate.  Her eyes filled with tears.  Cynthia was such a sweet, unassuming creature.  How would she be able to do the things Tucker needed done?  Did she have any idea what he needed to get ready to leave this world?  Then she laughed softly.  Of course she knew!  Cynthia had been helping people cross the bar for many years.  That was why she was with Tucker now.  It was like it was preordained.  Tucker had felt it first.  And she had known when she met her.  It was instinct.  Cynthia had guided her husband over.  And her mother and mother-in-law.  How many AIDS clients?  Yes, Cynthia was exactly what Tucker needed and they both knew it.

No comments:

Post a Comment