Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

#2 What the hell! (rerun)

My mind raced back to the night before.  I had gone to bed early because I was tired.  Icarus was snuggled against my back and Daisy lay on the rug beside the bed.  They were looking at me funny.  As I watched, Icarus looked at Daisy and they both left the room headed outside.  Now something was not right here.  How could I watch them if I were asleep?  Wait!  I was not asleep, but my body was.  Oh! crap!  Something was sure different here.  Slowly the realization came to me.  I was dead!  I was stone cold dead.  Funny, I did not feel dead.  Actually felt pretty damn good!  My hip didn't hurt at all.  I wasn't cold or anything.  I just was.  That was strange.  I had always thought that when the time came I would be whisked away up to heaven or jerked down below, but here I was in my own bedroom looking at myself laying there in the bed like I was asleep.

I am going to look in the mirror and see what I look like!  Let me just scoot over here in front of the mirror.  Oh, I see I do not scoot, I float.  Whoa!  I was drunk once and thought I was floating, but I threw up when I tried floating.  Oh, wow!  This is so cool.  I just have to think where I want to be and I am there.  I can see this is going to be fun!  I finally got my eyes turned in the right direction and there was the mirror.  Well, I should have cleaned that sucker when I was alive!  Little late now.

Hmmm.  No reflection.  I must be a vampire.  No, wait.  I am over there in the bed so I can not be over here.  If I look real close I think I can see a warm glow.  Oh, this is so cool!  My wrinkled up old body is now a warm glow.  I can not wait for the kids to see this!  Uh oh.  I forgot about those kids.  They are going to be devastated.  I should call them.  Where is that phone?  Oh, there it is.  This floating thing is sure nice.

I can not pick up the phone! How can I call the kids if I have no fingers?  And I see I can not talk.   Well, I can talk, but no one can hear me.  Course there is no one here to hear me anyway.  Well, what am I going to do all day if I can not do anything?  How long have I been dead any way?  Shouldn't I be shooting off to a judgement seat of some kind?  This being dead is going to suck if this is the best it has to offer.

I am just going to float on outside and go look for someone to guide me in this "what to do after you are dead" thing.  Oh, I can just float on up through the ceiling.  Daisy and Icarus on the deck and they do not even see me!  But at that moment they both looked my way and then put their little heads down.  They sensed me, I think.  But I was too busy to give that much more thought. I was floating higher and higher and then in a valley and across a desert and into a forest.  I looked down and I could see the ball that was the earth fading behind me and then coming closer.  Stars sped by on both sides and I did not even worry about colliding with them.  I gave only a little thought to where this journey might end.

Very clearly, my life as I knew it was over and what lay ahead would prove to be the greatest adventure of them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment