Total Pageviews

Friday, March 9, 2018

#8 What is time? rerun

I reclined against whatever and enjoyed just being here and being me.  I began to wonder about the kids and how they were handling not having me any more.  How long had it been?  How could I find out?  I closed my eyes and thought back to the day I died and the place.  I was there!  My body was not.  The bed was stripped and all my personal belongings were gone.  Wait a minute!  That was not my bed!  The room was no longer purple.  And what was that godawfulsound coming from the other room?  I recognized it as some sort of classical music.  I listened for a moment and decided it was not really that bad.  I had always gone the classic country route myself.  Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, George Jones, Loretta Lynn, oh and Dolly Parton and Porter Wagoner.  I remembered back when Dolly was a brunette and did not have boobs.  That was a long time ago!  But I had other fish to fry.  If this was no longer my home, where were my kids?

Sue was still in Pueblo, I was sure as was Bret.  Those were the youngest.  Better check on them first.  I pictured Bret since he was the baby.  I pictured him in Florence, where he lived.  That place was empty.  When I had last seen him he drove a red car, worked in the marijuana trade, and was going to the Community College to learn welding.  I flitted over to Florence and found that house empty.  Not at the grow.  Not at the college.  OK.  I needed to think.  I had a tie to him so if I thought about him and Amanda and the baby, it should pull me to them.  I pictured him as I last saw him.  He had just gotten bitten by a scorpion at the grow and he was pretty upset.  Baby had been comforting him.  I felt air begin to race by my face and I knew I was moving and moving very fast.  And suddenly I stopped outside a small house in a country setting.  Where was this?  Hey, a welding truck in the driveway.  The tag showed it was from Kansas.  Reno county.  Wow!  He had gone back to my hometown.  I zoomed out and looked back down.  Yep.  He was in Nickerson, Kansas.

The last time I had seen Nickerson, it was a depressed area with lots of deserted mobile homes.  Not so now.  It looked like it had made a comeback.  So this is where Bret moved.  Wonder when he did that.  Probably when he got his inheritance from me.  I looked around and no one was in the yard.  There was a small bike there.  That must belong to Jiraiya.  I looked for him and saw no signs of anyone anywhere.  I judged it to be about supper time, so I peeked in what I thought was the kitchen and there they were.  Amanda was putting supper on the table.  Bret was leaning against the sink telling her about his day.  Jiraiya was at a desk in the corner working on a coloring book.  He was doing a really good job.  How old was he now?  He was just turned 2 when I left.  He looked to be about 3 or 4 now.  So apparently I have only been dead about a year.  Well, all I can say is "Time flies when you are having fun!"  Seemed like only yesterday.  As I watched the little scene before me, I heard the phone ring.  Bret pulled the phone from his pocket, checked the caller ID and said to no one in particular, "It is Aunt Donna.  I will call her back."  Aunt Donna was my only surviving sister.  It was good to know they were in touch.  She lived in Hutchinson, Kansas.

As they ate they talked about an upcoming trip they were going to take.  Bret seemed to be in charge of the plans.  Leave on Saturday, drive to Pueblo, check into their room at the Best Western and sleep.  " And the next morning we will go take your folks to breakfast, visit a while and then go see Susie.  She is still working at the laundromat."  It took a moment for that to sink in.  Sue had been Bret's birth mother and my youngest daughter.  We had adopted him and as could be expected, life had gotten complicated.  They must have made peace after my death.  Well, that was good.  I would need to look into that more at a future time, but right now I was missing my mossy little room and Sysynck and Charmin, so I closed my eyes and pictured the room.

I could sure get used to this method of travel!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, time flies when you're having fun. I could never think of "heaven" as a place to have fun. Thanks for helping me to do that. ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿงก

    ReplyDelete