Total Pageviews

Friday, November 25, 2011

Installment #10


Kevin/Meg
Kevin stopped on the trail and fished the cell phone out of his pocket.  Mom. 
“Hey mom!  What’s up?  You never call this early.”
“Just wanted to tell you that I miss our little morning runs.  I knew you would be out this morning.  I guess I am just a little lonely for you.”
“Well, yeah, but if you moved out here you would not need to miss me, would you?”  He hesitated briefly, then forged ahead.  “Mom, I have met someone.  I want you to meet him.  If we can work it out we will fly out the end of the month.  He owns a pub here and will need to get someone to take care of it while he is gone.  And he has a cat.  And his own house.”  Kevin suddenly stopped as he realized he was rambling. “Mom?  You there?”
“Yes, dear.  Just give me a minute.  This is not what I expected this morning.”  She took a deep breathe.  “ I am so happy you have someone.  I just need a moment to gather my thoughts.”  Thoughts she must never let him know she had.  She waved the phone in the air as she crumpled a leaf.  “Kevin, my phone is acting up.  Let me call you this evening.”  As they rang off, Meg sank into the chair at the kitchen table and broke into sobs.
She had known for years that Kevin was gay.  But he had no steady friend, so there was hope.  Now it all came into a reality that she was not prepared for.  There were so many ramifications in the words “I have met someone.”  I have met a man and you will never be a grandmother.  I have met someone and I will never be your little boy again.  I will turn to him and turn away from you.  You will never hold a grandchild.  Never.  Never, ever.  She watched the truck bringing another load of the steel bars and it suddenly dawned on her that while she was building a wall to keep the world out, she was also building a wall to keep herself in.  Kevin had a right to be happy and if this man made
him happy wasn’t that more important than her selfish wants?  And how selfish that she
had not even asked his name.  She dried her eyes and watched the workman carrying the bars toward the house.  She would not share this with Kevin.
Kevin was just getting back to stride when the phone rang again.  Mom.  What now?  “Hi Mom.  Did you forget something?” 
“No, dear.  I just want you to know that I am happy you have some one and I would love to meet him.  But does he have a name and what does he do and all the things I should have asked before? “  Kevin suddenly laughed out loud.
“Oh, Mom!  I am so glad you lost your connection a bit ago, cause it sure sounds like you have a solid one now!  This is the mom I know.  I will email you all about him when I get off tonight.  Have a good day and I love you.”
“And I love you, Kevin.”  They both smiled as they broke the connection.  Meg turned back to the window and Kevin turned back to the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment